Monday, May 16, 2011

Movie Review - Water For Elephants



Movie Synopsis - Water For Elephants
Movie Trailer - Water For Elephants

After watching the movie, I was very upset with the Reese Witherspoon character, Marlena. I didn't like it that she lied to August that there is nothing between Jacob and her. Jas argued that even if she told August the truth, August might just kill her. Well, I had to agree with her on that but still I didn't like the lying part. For me, if she did a mistake, she had to face it and not lie her way through. Even now when I'm writing this review, I'm still pissed with her. I also didn't really like the ending of the movie. How can a liar like her deserved a happy ending!?!?! To clear things up, I'm not agreeing with August's attitude. I just don't like the cheating, adultery and lying Marlena It is just not right! If she fell in love with Jacob, conducted an adultery, she should face the consequences! It feels as though it is right to cheat on your husband if your husband is not good to you! I think I would be happier if she just ran away with Jacob without having to lie to August that there is nothing between her and Jacob. I'm just far too emotional after the movie. Me and Jas got into a heated up discussion on how the review should be after the movie. While I'm battling by the fact that lying is wrong, she fought back saying Marlena do not have a choice because August was too abusive. Both of us got our own stand but after a while, we decided that it is just too stupid to fight over a fiction. 

I have to agree with Jas that the movie is different because the story of a circus was told in a different perspective. Usually, in circus movie, it will always be how a circus was formed and how hard the people practice to gain fame. In this movie, it shows how a struggling circus try to make ends meet and how a circus die back in those days. The whole movie was quite slow in the beginning. I almost dozed off in the first half hour of the movie but it slowly picked up after the hour mark. As I was too emotionally driven, it kept me awake because I want to see the ending. Disappointing ending for me because Marlena had a happy ending but I cannot deny the fact that August deserved it and Marlena should be set free from him. It is just the lying part that pissed me off. Nothing outstanding in acting wise.

In my opinion, among the three main characters in the movie, Christoph Waltz as August was the most notable one. The character suits him. When I first saw Christoph Waltz in the movie, I couldn't help it but to keep thinking about his hilariously nuisance character as Chudnofsky/ Bloodnofsky in The Green Hornet. After watching Water for Elephants, I started to view him as a totally different actor. I think he is really a good actor. As for the other two, we can put in Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift and I think they can still pull through.

The script was okay. Nothing memorable.

Here's the hilarious out-of-scene thing that i realised about this movie. Robert Pattinson is Jacob in this movie. Hahahaha!

Overall rating 1.5/5. Honesty is always the best policy!

Movie Synopsis - Water For Elephants
Movie Trailer - Water For Elephants

No comments: