Sunday, July 31, 2011

Movie Review - Captain America: The First Avenger



Movie Synopsis - Captain America: The First Avenger
Movie Trailer - Captain America: The Fist Avenger

Woot Woot Woot! At last! My favourite comic hero of all time is here! Captain America! I've always been a fan of Captain America! He is my all time number one selection among all the Marvel heroes! Well, because he is my all time favourite, I've got a little expectation for the movie. Honestly speaking, the movie didn't quite live up to my expectation.

The story line of the movie was okay. As it was an introduction to the character, there wasn't much action in the movie until the 2nd half of the movie. Most of the movie was about his life before he got into his action packed life. The flow of the movie was good. From him entering the army, going through the operation, being made a performer, proving his ability by storming the enemy base alone and defeating the bad guy in the end was just a line of good flow.

I felt that Chris Evans was not manly enough for the role. He had a very boyish look. Moreover, viewers will always compare him to his role as the Human Torch. I personally think he was more suitable as The Human Torch. He is not manly enough to be my hero! Even though with his solid chest and his 6 pack abs, that doesn't make him any manly. They should put Hugh Jackman or Daniel Craig there. Those two look more Captain America. Nevertheless, I was quite amazed on how they managed to put Chris Evans face into that small skinny body. I knew it was CG but it looked real. The size of the head and the body was proportional.

I find that small little romance between Peggy (Hayley Atwell) and Rogers (Chris Evans) unnecessary. It felt like a fan service to me. To me, Peggy was not even necessary to be in the story. The friendship between Bucky (Sebastian Stan) and Rogers deserved to be elaborated. Colonel Chester Phillips (Tommy Lee Jones) got the funniest lines in the movie. I think he is the manliest man in the movie. Oh man... young actors these days are just not manly enough!

Red Skull (Hugo Weaving) was the most useless villains ever! All he ever did in the movie was running away with the Tesseract. Every time he saw Captain America , he will run away with the Tesseract. He claimed that he had the power of God but he was too afraid to face the captain. His army also look so normal. The only different was the disintegrating gun that were powered by the energy from the Tesseract. Besides that, there were literally useless. The machine-looking guy with the fire gun looked super awkward in his suit. I don't find him any more powerful comparing to the other guy in the Hydra army. Instead, I find him very clumsy looking.

Nothing much to talk about the script. Most of the lines in the movie was explanation and explanation. As mentioned earlier, most of the cheeky lines comes from the experienced Tommy Lee Jones.

In overall, the movie was just slightly better than Thor. There were more substances in this movie comparing to Thor. However, we need more action fighting scenes in Captain America. Except for the last "fight" between Red Skull and Captain America, most of the action packed scene in the movie was just snippets of him fighting. I think for his capacity, the captain deserved a more vicious and fearless enemy instead of the forever-running-away-with-the-Tesseract Red Skull.

I love his shield! I think that's the coolest weapon ever!

Overall rating, 2.5/5. Sigh....

Movie Synopsis - Captain America: The First Avenger
Movie Trailer - Captain America: The Fist Avenger

No comments: