Thursday, July 14, 2011

Movie Review - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2


Movie Synopsis - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
Movie Trailer - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

At long last! It has come to an end! I seriously think this is the most successful movie franchise in history. Eight parts over the time span of 10 years. I don't even know if any other movie franchise can keep up to that record. The only one movie franchise that I can thought of that might break the record is The Fast and Furious expansions. The first one was also in 2001 but the recent one is only part five. Well, there was a hint that there will be part 6 though. So let's wait and see if it breaks the 8 part record set by Harry Potter and his friends. There is one movie franchise that have 6 episodes to it but it was made in a time span of 28 years. Yes! You're right! The Star Wars! 

Okay! Sorry for side tracking. Let's talk about the movie, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. Well, the movie was a very good end to the dramatic 8 parts chain movie. I'm serious. Everything in the movie just fell in and completed the puzzle. I felt satisfied after watching it but me and Jas still stayed on till after the credits because we wouldn't want to miss anything at all.  The whole movie was a continuation from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1. If you didn't watch Part 1, I think you should go grab the DVD and watched it before going for Part 2. Even though it was not very connected but there were bits and pieces that link both the parts.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows started off in a climax. It was a rare start but it was acceptable because this is Part 2. The whole movie progressed really well. Even though the stretch of the climax was really long, but it was very entertaining. A lot of magic were involved. A lot of people were killed in the war at Hogwarts. The movie slows down a bit for some explanation  and then it quickly got us back into the mood. I felt the ending was perfect. It ended when it was supposed to end. No draggy moments or maybe there were no extra time to be draggy.

The scripts were awesome. Some of it really made me ponder upon it and some of it were really strong. For example, Dumbledore told Harry something like "Whatever that is in your mind doesn't mean that it is not real." That particular line made me ponder a while. One example of strong lines in the movie was the famous line that was in the trailer as well, "The boy who lived. Come to die". Voldermort said it to Harry before the final battle began. Of course, the names of the magic spells never failed to amaze me. 

Over the time of ten years, the acting skills of the three main actors had improved tremendously. Just one comment though, Hermione didn't look old enough to have a kid at the end. However, Ginny really looked like a matured lady. However, the two couples seem a bit odd. Somehow I felt Ron and Hermione didn't matched. So was Harry and Ginny. Well, I thought of Harry and Hermione, still it felt a little odd. Well, ignore this. It was just some personal thoughts. It didn't affect the awesomeness of the movie.

Well, I had one question at the end of the movie. Someone who read the book might be able to help me on this. How does the Resurrection Stone work? In the movie, Harry just threw it away after he saw the stone but somehow he got resurrected. I was expecting something magical to happen but nothing happen. He threw the stone away before he died and he resurrected. That's all I got from the movie. Can someone please tell me how it works?

There was an awkward scene in the movie. The part where Ron and Hermione kissed after they destroyed the hocrux. It was a bit odd though. I don't see why they should kiss after destroying the hocrux. I actually spotted a more appropriate moment for them to kiss. I think it would be more appropriate for them to kiss after they survived the attack from Voldemort's snake. LOL! Anyway, this is random as well. Haha!

Sound effect was good. Just that I couldn't remember hearing that signature Harry Potter tune. Maybe it was mixed around in the movie. I guessed I was too into the movie that I missed it. The mood of the movie turned very emotional when Harry found out the truth about Snape.

Overall, the movie was excellent. If you're a Harry Potter movie fan, I'm sure you will not be disappointed. But those who read the book, I'm not sure how you would feel about it as you really cannot expect them to put everything from the book into the movie. I really enjoyed watching this last part of the movie franchise. I strongly recommend it to everyone!

I rate it 3.5/5. All good things will come to an end! Even for a magical journey! 

Movie Synopsis - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
Movie Trailer - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

No comments: