Monday, July 11, 2011

Movie Review - Wu Xia


Movie Synopsis - Wu Xia
Movie Trailer - Wu Xia

I didn't knew about this movie until my recent visit to the cinema. I saw the poster there and I was like "WOW! Another Donnie Yen movie!" After his recently disappointing movie, The Lost Bladesman, I didn't put any high hopes on this movie when I watched it. However, this movie turned out to be surprisingly much better. 

The flow of the movie was quite slow. The beginning part was really draggy. But there was something good about it. It kept me wondered if Bai Jiu (Takeshi Kaneshiro) was right about the true identity of Jin-Xi (Donnie Yen). In the first part of the movie where Jin-Xi fought the two robbers, he really did a good job in making the viewers think that he really couldn't fight. I thought it would be those kind of movie where his family were killed then he go up the mountain to learn martial arts and came down for revenge later on. It surprised me on the plot though. After the hour mark, the movie became strangely magnetic. I kept on wanting to know what will happen in the end. I would say the plot of this movie was very successful. It was slow in the beginning but somehow still managed to captivate the viewers.

The cast of the movie was awesome. It had been a while since I last watched a movie by Takeshi Kaneshiro. The last movie he was in that impacted me a lot was The Warlords. That movie was super awesome. Till date, I still couldn't find a movie as awesome as that one. Donnie Yen was as usual. Martial art master who seems to be unbeatable. Tang Wei had a very small role in this movie but still, her performance was worthy to be mentioned.

I love the script of this movie. So much details were in it especially on the acupuncture. They must have did a whole load of research in order to get the script out. Most of the dialogues were very powerful and significant. I didn't managed to track any unnecessary dialogue. Most of dialogues and explanations were meant to progress the movie further. 

Here is something that I'd never commented before on other movies. The sound effect and background music. I usually don't pay attention to the background music and sound effect but somehow in this movie, it attracted my attention. I think that the background music and sound effect added "oomph" to the fighting scene. It was nicely done.

In this movie, there wasn't much fighting scene but I felt that the amount was just right. Not too much and not too few. If you are a fan of Donnie Yen, you should watch this movie. It is far more better than The Lost Bladesman. If you are a fan of Takeshi Kaneshiro, you should watch it too! He did a good job as a detective in this movie!

Overall rating, 2.5/5. Action packed movie with good background music.

Movie Synopsis - Wu Xia
Movie Trailer - Wu Xia

No comments: