Sunday, July 3, 2011

Movie Review - Laddaland


Movie Synopsis - Laddaland
Movie Trailer - Laddaland

Usually, it will be me who got attracted to a horror movie trailer and asked Jas to watch the movie with me. However, for Laddaland, it was Jas who got attracted to the movie trailer. She made me stood in front of the big screen in the cinema to watch the trailer. When I first saw the trailer, it wasn't the scary part that got me wanted to watch this movie. I watched it because it was created by he people who brought me 4bia, Coming Soon and Phobia 2. I loved those 3 horror movie but of course my all time favourite horror movie is the Korean's Tale of Two Sisters and Thai's Shutter. Those 2 horror flicks were irreplaceable.

When we got into the cinema, me and Jas felt relieved because there were a lot of people in the cinema. It was packed with heads even up to the front row. We recalled back the time when we watch Insidious, the place were empty and cold. This time, the cinema was warm so we felt slightly less tension.

The plot of the movie was quite okay. How different can the plot of a horror movie be? Well, this was slightly different. Read until the end and I'll let you know how different it was. Laddaland is a very slow moving horror movie. The scary scene were not many but the first one already got me jumped off my seat. The flow of the movie was good. The built up, the story, the climax and the end. It was all well divided in the 120 mins movie.

The casting team did a good job but the actors were not very impressive. The actors had the looks that fit nicely into the role but I felt that they do not have the acting skill to carry the role. I think the kids did a good job though. I think they had more notable acting skills as compared to the adults.

Script wise I can't comment much because I'm reading subtitles only.

There was one particular setback in the movie that upsets me. This particular issue had bugged me in many movies. Unanswered questions! Who killed the maid?!

As mentioned earlier, there was something different about this movie as compared to other horror movie. In most horror movie, the main objective was to make you jump then impacted you in the way where you will always think someone was standing behind you in the elevator.But in this movie, I realised that the main objective was not to scare us. The main message of the movie is the life of a devoted father. Sometimes fathers can be assumed to be a very controlling person in our life but at times they had to be controlling. They had a heavy burden to lift that no other people could understand. As I walked out of the cinema, I asked Jas if this is a father's day movie made in a horror way. She gave me the WTH stare.

Overall rating 2/5. Horror movie with a message.

Movie Synopsis - Laddaland
Movie Trailer - Laddaland

No comments: