Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Movie Review - Green Lantern



It had been quite some time since I heard about this movie. At first, the reason why I wanted to watch this movie was because of the hype. You know...super hero movie... always a must to watch. When you hang out with your friends, I think 80% of them would talk about movies like Green Lantern rather than movies like King's Speech or 127 Hours. However, Green Lantern turned out to be quite a good surprise for us!

Green Lantern was actually good. The storyline was very original. Well, actually it was not a very surprising thing for it to be so original because Green Lantern was made long before I was born or maybe long before any of you guys were born. Well when I say original, what I meant was the storyline was very typical but because it had a long history, so most of the ideas in the movie was actually very original back then when Green Lantern was created!

Two childhood friends who fell for the same hot girl. One being a nerd and the other being cool. Naturally, the hottie would date the cool one. The nerd got jealous and always hoping he could be the cool one. So original right? Two good friends who fought for the universe. One being better than the other. The latter one was jealous. Super original right? Seriously! I'm not being sarcastic here. Back in the 1950s, if anyone could come up with a plot like that deserved to be a legend! I'm serious!

The movie wasn't very long as well. It finished at the right time for the audience to digest the whole movie. Explanation was all in the movie. Jas and me particularly loved the front part of the movie where it explained on the origins of Green Lantern Corp. Later, there was also a short explanation about Parallax. We love explanations; it cleared up a lot of our questions. Future movie producers, please take note. Remember to explain! Do not worry about time wasting! We love explanations!

Ryan Reynolds is super hot. Oh man... I think he is way hotter then Chris Hemsworth. Chris Hemsworth is too bulky. Ryan Reynolds is just nice! Oh... I'm so jealous of him. I should really have his posters pasted all over my room wall as an inspiration to go workout! Blake Lively... Pheeeew... I need a fan... She is toooooo hot! With her recent scandals on her leak "photos", that makes her hotter in the movies Well, besides being hot, those two charmers actually did quite a good job in taking up their role. Peter Sarsgaard who played the villain, Hector, was also notably good in his role. I can't say he is hot cos he is not supposed to be hot in his role. Moreover, in 90% of the movie, he was mutated with an incredibly broad forehead.

The scripts were so so. Nothing much to comment about it. The visual effects were good. As we all know this is a fiction comic movie, it was a good idea to keep the visual effects slightly comical and colorful to the viewers.

However, don't you think that it is a little too easy to kill Parallax? I mean... He can mortally wound Abin Sur who was supposedly the best fighter in Green Lantern Corp, so should he be at least slightly more difficult to defeat? The whole movie was basically about Parallax coming to destroy Earth and to kill Hal. Moreover, a newbie like Hal was capable to trick Parallax into following him to the sun? I felt it is a little too easy. Besides that, all other aspects of the movie were good. It was a good super hero movie to watch.

I'll rate it 3/5. A good well explained and entertaining super hero movie!

No comments: