Monday, June 6, 2011

Movie Review - Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides


Movie Synopsis - Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Movie Trailer - Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

We have waited so long for the released of this movie. Jas and me were talking about this movie since long before we can remember. Even after the movie was released, we need to wait for another 2 weeks before we get to watch it because it is so difficult to get the tickets. At last, last friday, we managed to watch it. After watching it, we were so DISAPPOINTED!

First of all, I think this movie should be name Jack Sparrow On Stranger Tides. The movie is all about Jack Sparrow. I know that all these while, the main actor of this movie is Jack Sparrow but in this latest installment, it is all about Jack Sparrow. As far as I know, all the other POTC episodes focus on the adventure and how Jack Sparrow used his wittiness to overcome one obstacles after another. In this latest POTC franchise, it focus on Jack Sparrow. Only Jack Sparrow and nothing else. Who's the actress again? I think her name is Angelica and I think I only heard her name like TWICE? Oh man... Penelope Cruz is such a big waste in the movie. Anyone can take her place. She might as well take another movie that her name could at least be mention FIVE times. This movie is seriously a one man Jack Sparrow show.

Secondly, this movie is not adventurous at all. I was halfway falling asleep looking at Jack Sparrow jumping around town and the fight scenes are BORING! I think the fighting scenes were unnecessarily long especially the one between Jack and Angelica. Oh man...why bother to be so secretive and hide her face during fighting scene that seem to last for hours? Come on...everyone knew that was Penelope Cruz the night itself after the movie was released. I don't see why you need to hide her with such a long time wasting fighting scene. Here's the big question. The Fountain of Youth seems very easy to locate. Gibbs can memorized the whole map just by looking at it. How about the tests? Where were the tests that Jack Sparrow's dad had to appear purposely to warn him about? Which were the tests? Maybe I was too SLEEPY in the cinema that I didn't notice the tests at all. Kindly enlighten me.

Thirdly, overall the movie is bad. Boring is the only word I can think of to describe the movie. At the beginning, when I saw Jack's never ending jumping around town doing Jackie Chan stuns scene, I was already halfway falling asleep. When it reached the scene where Jack and Angelica were fighting, I totally surrender my consciousness. I need candies to keep me awake. Casting were good but wasted. All the good talents of the movie were wasted. Only Johnny Depp shine. I was too sleepy to take notice of the script but if I can still understand in my sleepy condition, I think it should be okay. Nothing to comment on the flow of the movie because it is just a one man show. I don't even know why bother having that love story between the mermaid and the missionary guy. Time wasting I suppose? I was so disappointed with the latest installment. Where is the magical and exciting journey that Jack Sparrow always brings us along? Without the adventure, no matter how funny Jack can be, he is just another pirate.

Overall rating, 1.5/5. Mr Sparrow, if it is going to be like that again, four is enough.

Movie Synopsis - Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Movie Trailer - Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

No comments: